I made it two days and then there was a month gap.
I promise I was writing occasionally! In fact I've streaming on Twitch.tv/aforgottenlegend! I've streamed pretty much every day, but I'm switching back and forth between Finale and RPG Maker (the program I'm using to design my videogame).
I've got about a minute of this Places You'll Go show, which is inspired by Dr. Seuss. Its only just an opening section with a couple themes, and I'm planning on doing things that would sound like events in a Seuss book.
If you give a listen, be sure to leave some feedback! Until next time!
Last night I was looking through some of my old files and found a reduction I started in 2016. I vaguely remember writing it, but I also found my file where I was coming up with the theme that I eventually used. I decided today to kinda dabble in it for a while. The only new material is the last 30 seconds or so - and I just wrote with no mind to form or phrasing. I guess I would say I was experimenting with some things. Sometimes when writing for a large ensemble I used to do all on two lines and make the sounds strings to hear sustains. Eventually I would then copy the reduction into a new file and expand the lines outward.
Here's today's adventure:
I've also added a few more works onto the site. There's a two movement oboe quartet that I put on the solo and small ensemble page, and a (very hard) two movement choral work using two Lorca poems to the Large Ensemble page.
So, I'm going to attempt to write a bit each day and upload it here. Sometimes it might be marching band stuff, sometimes it might be string orchestra. Or both. Like today.
First off, here's a string orchestra piece in Bb minor that I worked on for a couple hours today. Its a little rough and the timing for each of the parts seems a bit hurried. I wrote it to pretty much reflect my mood the last few days.
Also, always remember to change the audio engine in final when you switch audio outputs or else its just going to freak out and crash. Like right now.
The last thing I've been working on today was some themes to use in a Dr. Seuss themed marching band show. My plan for this summer is to spend a day or two developing some melodic themes and then over a few days flesh them out into movements. When I arrange, I usually do four staff lines. One for woodwinds (played by a clarinet), two for brass (using a brass section sound), and one for percussion. I'm usually pretty bad at making sure to always be writing something in the last staff, but eventually I come up with something.
I might end up writing some more today - but probably not. Its nice having time to just sit and work in finale with it not relating to my classroom.